The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Biblical Matters

Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM

Default To Whom do we pray? Our Heavenly Father...

I've been having a very deep relationship with my heavenly Father lately. Just beautiful. And I mean in terms of my prayer time and just talking to Him about whatever is on my mind because I know He always has time for each and every one of us. God is soooo good. He loves us sooo much.

But I must say, something is troubling me. Remember when the disciples asked Jesus how they should pray and Jesus started with..."Our Father who art in heaven?" Well it bothers me (and I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful) when people pray directly to Jesus. And I worship Him too. But the creator is God Almighty and it is because of Him that He sent His son Jesus to pay the price of our sins. So Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, the only path to the father.

So what I'm trying to say, is I think that people lose focus of the fact that Jesus is our gateway to God/El Shaddai/Yahway/I am who I am...etc.

See my point?

ANd I do understand that Jesus is Emmanuel (God is with us) and I do understand that if we've seen Jesus we've seen the father God. And if Jesus were here, I would fall on my knees and worship and adore Him.

But again, it His because of Jesus that we are restored to our Heavenly Father and given access to Him....right?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

Prayer is a fancy word for "Can we talk?".

In the Scripture, people talked to Jesus all the time and He responded.

Because prayer is a two-way communication between individuals, and because Jesus spoke with people on a constant and consistent basis, would it not be appropriate to speak to Him as much as the Father and the Father as much as Him?

After all, the Trinity, the Three Persons of the Godhead, are One (Genesis 1:26-27) and therefore when we pray, we can pray the "Our" Father (showing corporate, not singular, prayer) or to the Lord Jesus or even to the Holy Spirit.

I sometimes pray to the Holy Spirit, asking Him to reveal Jesus to and the Father to me, etc, as His ministry is to reveal Jesus and we know that if we've seen (received a revelation of) Jesus then we've seen (received a revelation of) the Father.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Good point Prophetic Wilderness. it reminds me that I too ask the Holy Spirit for guidance, which is essentially praying, the fancy work for talking.

However, I still think that a lot of people refer to Jesus ALL of the time, and forget about our Heavenly Father. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 AM

I suppose we've all wondered about this. Like PropheticWilderness, you can pray to any of the 3, depending on the nature. For instance, I sometimes praise the Holy Spirit and ask Him to come or move and work in someone's life. You can talk to Jesus directly. However, like most, I probably pray to the Father the majority of the time.

Here's an interesting observation- Whenever we're in grave and immediate danger, who's name do you call out?... Jesus!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM

As we are putting on the mind of Christ and becoming more into His image daily, it would make sense to address the Father more often as our "Father" and less to Jesus even though They are of one mind and Spirit! WOW! Did anyone even understand that statement? Backing out now.....
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
As we are putting on the mind of Christ and becoming more into His image daily, it would make sense to address the Father more often as our "Father" and less to Jesus even though They are of one mind and Spirit! WOW! Did anyone even understand that statement? Backing out now.....
Katherine, you shouldn't back out. I am not on board with most here at WC on this. When I Pray, or worship, I pray to God the Father just as Jesus taught us to do in the Lords prayer, "Our Father who art in heaven....". Since I am non trinitarian I do not believe that God, Jesus and the Spirit are one and the same entity. I believe very simply that Jesus is in fact God's son. Are they in agreement? Most definitely. As you said "one mind and Spirit"

It was the Catholics that developed this modern concept over 1500 years ago.

Chris
Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 PM

Colossians 2
1For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;

2That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

3In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

4And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

5For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

6As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

7Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

11In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

18Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

19And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

20Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

21(Touch not; taste not; handle not;

22Which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men?

23Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Colossians 3
1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

5Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

7In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

8But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

11Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

12Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

13Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

14And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

17And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

18Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

19Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.

20Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

21Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.

22Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God;

23And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

24Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

25But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

I am posting these to chapters because in them I (we) are told that we are in Him, Jesus! Jesus wanted us(the body)to be one even as He and the Father were One! One mind, One Spirit! I am told to "Put on the mind of Christ! When this was accomplished in me through my conversion experience by the work of the Holy Spirit, it just became unnaturally, "natural" to speak with the Father in prayer/conversation!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
I did!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:27 AM

"Our Father in heaven, hallow by thy, your, Name..." YAHWEH, seems if we start prayer out with Yahweh, the Almighty, we get a higher sense of reverence and awe to who we are praying to.

I usually pray to the Father, and when I need my Savior I go to Jesus or pray to him when reading the gospel accounts. The Holy Spirit being our teacher, comfortor, I pray to him. And still all interchangeably since the Yahweh our God is One God, one Father, One Adoniyah...Lord, and One Spirit. Whether that's triunity, trinity, or not. I relate to what Chris wrote and if I believe in the triunity of the Godhead it will have to be from the scriptures and NOT from the RCC.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowandarrowsparkles View Post
I did!
Bowandarrowsparkles,
I can sense the "excitement" in your post!! I am excited too as we are moving right along as planned....

Tags
heavenly father prayer