The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Removing wild game taste from meat

No offense to you grizzly Adams types who like yer meat strong, , but I'm not too crazy about game taste which is why I avoid deer meat but figured it would be good to know how to make wild meat more tasty. Any suggestions are welcome!

*for deer, it seems that the biggest factor of game taste is found in the fat and the membrane... therefore, trimming off all of this removes a majority of the game taste. ...however, one would need to consider reconstituting/injecting some form of fat into the meat for moisture and taste, possibly?

More of what I found:

Vinegar and/or Smoking will reduce the gaminess of wild meat as will Aging it
It's not so much of a bad taste as it is that our taste buds have become conditioned to steroids & other chemicals that are present in commercial meat and a there is isually a lack of proper aging of the game meat. Fresh, unaged, beef has a much different taste than properly aged beef has.

•Vinegar and water will do the trick. Soak the meat in a mixture of vinegar and water to remove, or at least to reduce, the "gaminess" in wild animal meat. Sauces can also help. Most contain some amount of vinegar.

•Or, Smoke the meat and infuse it with hickory, mesquite, pecan or your own particular favorite flavor.

•Age the meat properly.
Bon appetit.

Answer
if the wild game was feild dressed properly, u will not have a gamey taste

ANSWER:
Try soaking it in buttermilk overnight. The lactose in the buttermilk will remove the wild taste. It is recommended to do fish the same way.

----------------

http://hunting.maitt.org/hunting-gam...te-614934.html

Question:
says… Try soaking the deer meat in Coca Cola for 2 to 4 hours or overnight in the frig. The acid in the Coke dissolves or neutralizes the wild game taste. Wash meat thoroughly before cooking.

Response:
<< snip >> My friend also soaks particularly nasty meat ( like sea ducks) > in buttermilk…I have not tried this, but what can it hurt? > Derek Zelmer

My friend, I have used buttermilk on older antelope chops that were really gamey and soaking it overnight in the ‘fridge and the next day, pour off, and just WIPE and PAT the meat, don’t rub. . . It works like a champ! Very tasty, no gaminess at ALL! I swear by buttermilk. . . keith

Response:
- Hide quoted text — Show quoted text – > Hi all, > I have found that by NOT using a saw on my meat (therefore no bone dust) > any gamey taste is almost completely eliminated. > Happy Hunting > Brad >> I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild >> taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how >> butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull. >For deer, the best way to reduce the "gamey" flavor is to cut off as >silverskin (the membrane found in the meat) as possible. Next soak the >overnight in italian salad dressing (works great for me).

I must be missing something here. Why would you try to make venison taste less like venison? If you want beef or chicken, go to Safeway. If you want "wild" game, take care of the meat and enjoy the different taste. My kids only want venison, they think beef is boring. John

Response:
- Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -> Hi all, > I have found that by NOT using a saw on my meat (therefore no bone dust) > any gamey taste is almost completely eliminated. > Happy Hunting > Brad > >> I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild > >> taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how > >> butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull. > >For deer, the best way to reduce the "gamey" flavor is to cut off as > >silverskin (the membrane found in the meat) as possible. Next soak the > >overnight in italian salad dressing (works great for me). > I must be missing something here. Why would you try to make venison > taste less like venison? If you want beef or chicken, go to Safeway. If > you want "wild" game, take care of the meat and enjoy the different > taste. My kids only want venison, they think beef is boring. > John

Try removeing as much fat as you can. That’s were the nasty flavor is. — Steve

Response:
Most avid hunters enjoy the distinctive flavor of wild game. To alter the taste with artifical masks——-is really doing an injustice. Thanks, Dan

Response:
- Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -> Hi, > I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game > taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to > butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull. > For deer, the best way to reduce the "gamey" flavor is to cut off as much > silverskin (the membrane found in the meat) as possible. Next soak the meat > overnight in italian salad dressing (works great for me). > — > Gary … >

This is good advice, but I would go further. I like my deer steak fired in butter, medium rare, with nothing more than salt and pepper. It tastes great and everyone that eats it likes it. The trick is to de-bone the whole thing. Then remove all traces of fat and sinew. If you have to fry up small medallions-do it! You’ll be happy you did. All the wild taste in the fat, tallow and bones. Ever open a deer steak after it comes out of the freezer and have all that white bone dust all ovber the meat? I used to scrape it off. Try smearing fresh garlic all over it and then trying to scrape it off and get rid of the garlic taste after coming from the freezer. Won’t work with garlic …or..bone dust. Best part is, you don’t even have to hang it….or choke it <G> — Sheldon Charron "The journey’s the thing" removed

Response:
Hello my friend, That gamy taste is a natural favor, however there are three things I do when prepare any game. The following three things should help you out. 1) After shooting, field dress immediately. If that is not possible than place the game in a cool area. For upland birds, try a gut hook and pull the birds lower intestins out from rear. Note, this will drastically lower a birds body temp and keep it FRESH. 2) Thoroughly clean the game! Note, on any game there is a very thin membrane which stores that gamy taste. Try to remove it when cleaning your meat. 3) Before cooking…soak overnight! Note, use salad dressing, milk, salt water, or soda. Yes, try COKE, SPRITE, Or better yet MOUNTAIN DEW. Thanks Greg

Response:
> Hi all, > I have found that by NOT using a saw on my meat (therefore no bone dust) > any gamey taste is almost completely eliminated. > Happy Hunting > Brad

This is the conclusion I have come to as well, my family always cuts up deer and elk just like it was beef, using a saw to cut steaks and chops etc. but my wifes family always cuts all the meat off the bones. There is a noticeable difference. Happy Hunting —

Response:
<Lots of snipping> Cool and skin the deer quickly. Some people hang deer for several days but, in my opinion, that drys out and results in the loss of exterior meat and is unnecessary. In butchering deer (it would take too long to tell you how in a post), be careful to avoid leaving hair anywhere on meat you are going to eat. Trim or otherwise remove ALL "fat" before cooking – looks good, tastes awful. Don’t overcook the meat – venison should be eaten rare. Venison tastes like venison; delicious! Tenderloin cubes as fondue, smoked rump and steamship round ham roasts, stew made with trimmed cubes of shoulder meat, loin filets…Ah! Good hunting! J. Rice

Response:
I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game >taste out of wild game

field dress it as soon as possible and cool >it off as fast as possible. Pack it in ice if you can while in transit. >People tells me antelope meat isn’t usually very good. No wonder… hunting >season starts in August, the hottest month of the year (in USA, at least). >They quickly spoil in the heat. I shot my first antelope last year, gutted >it, cut it up and packed it in ice immediately. After I got home, I wrapped >it up and put in my freezer immediately.

To avoid the "gamey" taste. The "gamey" taste is really spoiling meat. Gut the animal immediately, Remove the hide as soon as possible. Cool the meat as soon as possible. Do not hang wild game, it is not necessary and because of the temperatures in the fall only leads to spoilage. Get it processed and in the freezer as soon as possible.

Response:
> > I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game >taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to > can’t get rid of it. Next time, field dress it as soon as possible and cool > it off as fast as possible. Pack it in ice if you can while in transit.

I agree, the best way to avoid gaminess is to take care in processing the meat. Cooling the meat as quickly as possible is the first step. Sawing through bone during processing will also add "gaminess" to the meat, so stick to removing the meat from the bones. A buddy of mine always soaks game in salt water overnight, usually before freezing it, but it will work before cooking. I have tried this with duck (my wife does not enjoy gamey meat) and it works very well. What it does is draw the blood out of the meat. My friend also soaks particularly nasty meat ( like sea ducks) in buttermilk…I have not tried this, but what can it hurt? Derek Zelmer

Response:
>Hi, > I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game >taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to >butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull.

One thing you can do to fight that taste is to not use a bone saw. Some off flavors can result from bone marrow being on your meat. Its best to gut your animal right away and skin it as soon as possible. Do not bag it in a plastic bag, use a heavy canvas or muslin bag. Those cheap cheese cloth bags will not keep the blow flies off your meat. Check the bag frequently till the animal skins up. If the bag sticks to your animal it raises the possibility that flies can lay eggs (maggots). Also if you have a messy shot (Gut shot) rinse the entire animal in fresh very cold running water, like a creek as soon as you can after gutting the animal. There are many differnet thoughts on hanging your animal. If the average temp exceeds 50 degrees don’t do it. 90 in the day and 10 at night can be bad to. I generally like to hang in a butchers walk-in for 5 days at around 35-40. I’ve also butchered animals the same day they were shot and had them in the deep freeze before sunset. Shot straight, shot clean, gut fast, skin fast, cool fast and above all keep the meat clean.

Response:
– Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -> I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game >taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to > Just give the meat to me. That’s one way to get rid of ‘em. > Seriously, you can’t get rid of "wild game taste". That’s the nature of the > meat, they’re wild games. However, if you meant "spoiled taste", well, you > can’t get rid of it. Next time, field dress it as soon as possible and cool > it off as fast as possible. Pack it in ice if you can while in transit. > People tells me antelope meat isn’t usually very good. No wonder… hunting > season starts in August, the hottest month of the year (in USA, at least). > They quickly spoil in the heat. I shot my first antelope last year, gutted > it, cut it up and packed it in ice immediately. After I got home, I wrapped > it up and put in my freezer immediately. Then, whenever I cooked a piece of > meat, it tasted *great*. Best meat I’ve ever tasted, and very tender! How > can someone say it tastes "gamey"? They must really mean "spoiled"! > Regards, > John E. Babbitt, Jr.

In addition to all the other suggestions, when cooking, don’t let the meat dry out…..it dramatically increases the "gamey" taste.

Response:
>I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game >taste out of wild game

Assuming you are treating your game quickly and properly after the kill, you might try cooking the meat with lots of chunked or shredded carrots. The carrots are discarded after cooking, not eaten.

Response:
>Hi all, >I have found that by NOT using a saw on my meat (therefore no bone dust) >any gamey taste is almost completely eliminated.

Well…there is yet another way. I learned a tip several years ago that works quite well. After the kill, *immediately* dress, skin, and quarter the animal. Put the meat in an ice chest and cover with ice as full as you can get the chest. Drain off the water every 8-10 hours and re-fill with ice. Repeat for a few days before you do your fancy butchering. The melted ice carries away blood and other gamey fluids, leaving extremely flavorful venison. — Mark A. Breland "Unless you want to finish last, Racing, ranching, whatever… you got to kick a little!…"

Response:
> > Hi, > I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game > taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to > butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull.

Each of the game animals you mentioned have a flavor of their own. Many people confuse wiat they call wild game taste with spoile meat. The best thing to do is cool the meat down as soon as possible after making a clean quick kill. For butchering a deer try boning it out completely. This can be done with just a sharp knife and a few minutes time. > For deer, the best way to reduce the "gamey" flavor is to cut off as much > silverskin (the membrane found in the meat) as possible. Next soak the meat > overnight in italian salad dressing (works great for me). > —

The easiest way I have ever seen to remove the "silverskin" is freeze the meat with it on then remove when taken out of the freezer. This does two things one it is now easy to remove and it helped protect teh meat against freezer burn (dehydration) while in the freezer. Good luck this year Kevin

Response:
Hi all, I have found that by NOT using a saw on my meat (therefore no bone dust) any gamey taste is almost completely eliminated. Happy Hunting Brad – Hide quoted text — Show quoted text -> I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild > taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how > butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull. >For deer, the best way to reduce the "gamey" flavor is to cut off as >silverskin (the membrane found in the meat) as possible. Next soak the >overnight in italian salad dressing (works great for me).

Response:
try buttermilk or salty water or salty ice water. either is good for any kind of meat. although i have not been successful using them on dove. the meat is so dark in the first place.

Response:
- Hide quoted text — Show quoted text – ><Lots of snipping> >Cool and skin the deer quickly. Some people hang deer for several days but, >in my opinion, that drys out and results in the loss of exterior meat and is >unnecessary. In butchering deer (it would take too long to tell you how in a >post), be careful to avoid leaving hair anywhere on meat you are going to eat. > Trim or otherwise remove ALL "fat" before cooking – looks good, tastes awful. > Don’t overcook the meat – venison should be eaten rare. Venison tastes like >venison; delicious! Tenderloin cubes as fondue, smoked rump and steamship >round ham roasts, stew made with trimmed cubes of shoulder meat, loin >filets…Ah! >Good hunting! J. Rice

Good advice Mr. Rice. Deer are in the goat family and should be cooled out, cut up and frozen soon. If you do get a little bit of "game" taste you can also soak the meat in milk over night in the refrigerator and this will remove a lot of it. Good hunting Ace

Response:
> I am wondering how can you get the wild game >taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc.

Simple buy your game fully processed from a major supermarket chain. It’ll then taste like soggy cardboard. Ben

Response:
> Hi, > I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game > taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to > butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull.

For deer, the best way to reduce the "gamey" flavor is to cut off as much silverskin (the membrane found in the meat) as possible. Next soak the meat overnight in italian salad dressing (works great for me). — Gary …

Response:
Hi, I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to butcher up a deer and any good recipes will be greatfull.

Response:
> I am new at this, and I am wondering how can you get the wild game >taste out of wild game such as deer, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Also how to

Just give the meat to me. That’s one way to get rid of ‘em. Seriously, you can’t get rid of "wild game taste". That’s the nature of the meat, they’re wild games. However, if you meant "spoiled taste", well, you can’t get rid of it. Next time, field dress it as soon as possible and cool it off as fast as possible. Pack it in ice if you can while in transit. People tells me antelope meat isn’t usually very good. No wonder… hunting season starts in August, the hottest month of the year (in USA, at least). They quickly spoil in the heat. I shot my first antelope last year, gutted it, cut it up and packed it in ice immediately. After I got home, I wrapped it up and put in my freezer immediately. Then, whenever I cooked a piece of meat, it tasted *great*. Best meat I’ve ever tasted, and very tender! How can someone say it tastes "gamey"? They must really mean "spoiled"! Regards, John E. Babbitt, Jr.

Last edited by HisDoulas; 10-20-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: real estate agent's contact info removed
Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Hi TurnFromEvilAndLive In my family when they get deer. They field dress it in the field if they are a ways away from the house. They give the guts to the dogs as that makes the dogs want to chase deer or so I'm told.

Then they hang it up in a tree and skin it and cut off the head and hooves. Then they take it and put it in the bathtub with salty water and let it soak. It soaks for awhile but I never found out how long as I love deer and wild game but I do not like to look at the killing of it. I will not eat it if I see it killed. I know that makes no sense but I can not.

Now if you are smart, you will take the liver and such out and use it. It is all good. You take and empty out the intestines as that is what you use for sausage casings. Empty and wash and dry them and soak them when you want to stuff them with your sausage meat.

The hooves are good to keep to boil down and make glue out of or just throw to the dogs. The antlers make good tools.

Squirrels.... squirrels will run and seem hard to get but are not. You wear a baseball hat and let the squirrel see you with it on and as the squirrel runs to the other side you go around and get ready as you left your hat on the other side and when the squirrel sees your hat he will run back to your side and you get him right then.

Personally, I have looked into traps. I like traps you can make that require nothing you can not find right where you are at, nothing to buy at all except maybe a shovel or some string... Here's a link you might find very interesting. It's what I plan on doing... Den traps... http://www.scribd.com/doc/24505554/A...Make-Den-Traps

Simply put, you make a den you can close off on both sides as dens tend to have at least 2 holes to escape out of. Cover it so no one knows it's there and when you want food, go check a den and see if something is there. You might not want to do this while they have babies though. Just let them be in their home and they will populate more animals for more dens.

You can also do this with fish in creeks too. Make the cage big enough for them to get in and the creek will feed them and you just take them out as needed. Indians in N. Carolina showed me that one when I went on a tour of their tourist village a few years ago.

You do not have to feed these animals as they are wild and will do all the work for you. You can smoke them to store it. I do not think refrigerators will be available if you have to hunt your own food, but I could be wrong. I am thinking about ways and such to live without modern storage.

The reason they tell you not to hunt deer in the summer is because of the worms. They get worms under the pelts but you just dig them little babies out and they don't eat much. Pure protein. LOL The skins are not very good in the summer months but will make shoes and such that take smaller pieces. They are too thin too. You will want to learn how to make the hide good to use. Think pee, yep pee. LOL You will want the hides for shoe soles at least if the world crashes. Your feet are very porous even if they get tough as nails. You can get worms from walking barefoot. I do not like shoes and walk barefoot all the time, but you can get worms and you will want to keep your feet in good condition in case you must move when asked to.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Why
Would
You
Want
To
Get
Rid
Of
Wild
Game
Flavor
???????????????????????????????????????
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM

A Heineken always worked for me.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazerkevin View Post
Why
Would
You
Want
To
Get
Rid
Of
Wild
Game
Flavor
???????????????????????????????????????

I

guess

because

icky

game

taste=

GAG

ME

WITH

A

SPOON!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybdragon View Post
Hi TurnFromEvilAndLive In my family when they get deer. They field dress it in the field if they are a ways away from the house. They give the guts to the dogs as that makes the dogs want to chase deer or so I'm told.

Then they hang it up in a tree and skin it and cut off the head and hooves. Then they take it and put it in the bathtub with salty water and let it soak. It soaks for awhile but I never found out how long as I love deer and wild game but I do not like to look at the killing of it. I will not eat it if I see it killed. I know that makes no sense but I can not.

Now if you are smart, you will take the liver and such out and use it. It is all good. You take and empty out the intestines as that is what you use for sausage casings. Empty and wash and dry them and soak them when you want to stuff them with your sausage meat.

The hooves are good to keep to boil down and make glue out of or just throw to the dogs. The antlers make good tools.

Squirrels.... squirrels will run and seem hard to get but are not. You wear a baseball hat and let the squirrel see you with it on and as the squirrel runs to the other side you go around and get ready as you left your hat on the other side and when the squirrel sees your hat he will run back to your side and you get him right then.

Personally, I have looked into traps. I like traps you can make that require nothing you can not find right where you are at, nothing to buy at all except maybe a shovel or some string... Here's a link you might find very interesting. It's what I plan on doing... Den traps... http://www.scribd.com/doc/24505554/A...Make-Den-Traps

Simply put, you make a den you can close off on both sides as dens tend to have at least 2 holes to escape out of. Cover it so no one knows it's there and when you want food, go check a den and see if something is there. You might not want to do this while they have babies though. Just let them be in their home and they will populate more animals for more dens.

You can also do this with fish in creeks too. Make the cage big enough for them to get in and the creek will feed them and you just take them out as needed. Indians in N. Carolina showed me that one when I went on a tour of their tourist village a few years ago.

You do not have to feed these animals as they are wild and will do all the work for you. You can smoke them to store it. I do not think refrigerators will be available if you have to hunt your own food, but I could be wrong. I am thinking about ways and such to live without modern storage.

The reason they tell you not to hunt deer in the summer is because of the worms. They get worms under the pelts but you just dig them little babies out and they don't eat much. Pure protein. LOL The skins are not very good in the summer months but will make shoes and such that take smaller pieces. They are too thin too. You will want to learn how to make the hide good to use. Think pee, yep pee. LOL You will want the hides for shoe soles at least if the world crashes. Your feet are very porous even if they get tough as nails. You can get worms from walking barefoot. I do not like shoes and walk barefoot all the time, but you can get worms and you will want to keep your feet in good condition in case you must move when asked to.
hi sybydragon! thanks for all the good info! I especially liked the idea about squirrels, LOL... never heard that. And the fishing idea is great too.

I watched a program on tv and they showed people using a creek box that they placed in a certain area, the water running around it kept the items on the inside cool. Not as cold as refrigeration but better than nothing.

The only deer I ever killed was the one I drove my car into.
My Uncle went and got it, used what meat he could and made deer jerkey. I don't know, I felt so bad about the whole deal, I couldn't eat it but I was very glad that it didn't go to waste. I suspect that when times are tuff, we will be doing things we wouldn't do under normal circumstances. No more grocery stores?... I'll be the first in line with a gun to shoot Bamby! hehehe.

Now, what's this about pee? I'm assuming that this is the real meaning of tanning a hide? Or am I wrong?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnFromEvilAndLive View Post

I

guess

because

icky

game

taste=

GAG

ME

WITH

A

SPOON!!!

Me too. I like the taste of Chicken, pork, beef and rabbit.
Galatians 2:20-21
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I'm with ya Donna...well, three out of four anyway. Actually, I like the chocolate rabbits, does that count?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM

I was being silly -

Seriously though, I would rather eat game than beef or pork (unless it's hunting wild boar, which I have never done yet but would love to.) Not that I'm against a huge fat beef steak.

I probably shouldn't say this, as it goes against everything I love about wild game, but for the more tender folks here... if you want to get rid of that wonderful game taste, either send the meat to me and I'll eat it for you, or marinade the meat in 7up. Yes, 7up - for about 2-3 hours. It tames the meat. It also works to get rid of fishy taste for fish (yet again, it's fish but some don't like the fish taste).

Me? I'll take it wild and grilled!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:35 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
=) Donna,

I like chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, crab, lobster and fish....hehehe. My most exotic tastings have been frog legs, LOL... didn't like'um though! I make a really EASY gourmet style jambalaya with shrimp and smoked ssg (if anyone wants the recipe I'll share it).

I noticed you were looking into sheep(?) or goats(?) with a less game taste? I'd be sooooo curious how that turns out for y'all.

Also, help me out here too if you don't mind... (no offense intended but) my hubby let me know he tried rabbit one time in his life and it was the most disgusting thing he'd ever ate! LOL. I'm wondering if all rabbits are typically mushy? I think the mush quality is what got to him the most. I wonder if there's different types of rabbits or ways of cooking them that makes them more tasty or less mushy?

THANKS!